Delta Rewards Changes
In response to client feedback and as part of Delta's ongoing efforts to improve your travel experience, they are making updates to the SkyMiles program that will start in 2015.
Here's what you can expect:
EARNING MEDALLION® STATUS
- The way you earn Medallion status is not changing. Status is earned each year through a combination of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) plus Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs)
- You will continue to enjoy the same elite benefits that you do now
EARNING MILES TOWARD AWARD TRAVEL
- Miles you earn toward Award Travel will be based on ticket price
- Silver Medallion members will earn 40% more than non-Medallion members: 7 miles per dollar spent*
- Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Members will continue to earn an additional 2 miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases with the Card, so as a Silver Medallion with a Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, you could earn 9 miles per dollar*
REDEEMING MILES FOR AWARD TRAVEL
- Miles you can redeem for any Delta flight, with no blackout dates
- More Award Seats at the lowest price levels
- New One-Way Awards
- New Miles + Cash Award options
- All-new Award Ticket search and shopping at delta.com
All new program features go into effect on January 1, 2015. We encourage you to check delta.com/skymiles2015 for more details and to use the Mileage Comparison Calculator to see how you'll be rewarded in the 2015 program.
Air Tran Brand Name to be Withdrawn by Year-end
The AirTran brand name will finally disappear by the end of the year, merger partner Southwest Airlines said. Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said it will fully convert AirTran's seven international flights and remaining domestic routes to the Southwest brand by the year-end.
Southwest acquired AirTran Airways back in 2011 but the integration progress has been slow.
Hotels Expand Mobile Check-in Options
Already available at a smattering of brands and individual hotels, mobile hotel check-in is poised for rapid expansion this year across the industry. While check-in kiosks and other methods of avoiding the front desk line in recent years have become more commonplace at hotels, integration of mobile technology into the travel process is spurring greater adoption across some major hotel brands
Allure of the Seas to operate out of Barcelona, Spain, in 2015
Royal Caribbean International has announced that it will send Allure of the Seas to Barcelona, Spain, in 2015. The 5,400-passenger vessel will operate seven-night Mediterranean sailings out of Barcelona from May through October 2015. The itinerary will include stops in Palma de Mallorca, Spain; Marseilles, France; and Naples, Italy
Getaway handed over to Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Cruise Line assumed control of its latest ship, the Norwegian Getaway in a ceremony in Germany. After inaugural festivities in Rotterdam, the vessel headed for New York, where it will become a Bud Light Hotel during the Super Bowl. The ship will then be christened in Miami on February 7.
American Cruise Lines to Expand U.S. River Fleet with 4 New Vessels
American Cruise Lines said it will add four new ships to its river-cruising fleet from 2015 to 2017. The first vessel is scheduled to launch in spring 2015. It and another ship will sail in the Pacific Northwest as well as along the Mississippi River. The ships are being built at a Maryland shipyard.